I love opinionated non-PC people. This blog is to vent my opinions on life, the universe and everything. Which is 42 which in gematria is "My Heart" (LBY) according to Rabbi Abulafia. The Divine Heart is the centre of everything.

Saturday, June 25, 2016

The Charming and the Tedious: A New Chance for Catholicism

Milo Yiannopoulos another pontificating Catholic Jew

I hate clones and uniformity. I have always been interested in religion, politics, literature, history and culture. However I have always found it difficult that in the areas of academia, politics and religion that the ideologies of conformity, uniformity and totality rule the day. Even when subcultures in these areas form they unfortunately just become clones and conformists within their subcultures. 

In the Catholic Church today there seems to be a lack of true unity in diversity and instead there is a number of religious ghettos in which its members conform to the group-think whether of the right, middle or left. It is the bland leading the bland, dull leading the duller into a colourless world of conformity and authoritarian control. This is why my favourite saying is from Oscar Wilde: “It is absurd to divide people into good and bad. People are either charming or tedious.” Wilde and some of his bohemian and same-sex attracted contemporaries were drawn to Catholicism in reaction to the bland Victorian respectable Protestantism and evolutionary and machine-like deism of the time, as had been an earlier generation in the time of Byron and the Romantics.

I find it rather strange that the people in the public eye in Church and society I find the most interesting and exciting are Donald Trump, Milo Yiannopoulos, Ann Coulter, Camille Paglia, Sarah Palin, Brendan O'Neill, Pauline Hanson, Boris Johnson, Prince Harry as well as Pope Francis, Pope Benedict and Cardinal Schonborn.  I may not agree with everything they say or do but they fascinate me and are challenging the world of conformity and totality. Maybe my appreciation of these people has something to do with my sanguine-choleric temperament and the wonderfully eccentric and individualistic personalities of my own parents and family.

While I like the movement in Catholic circles of going back to the study of the great classics of Western literature and certain gothic-like revivals in Catholicism, I am concerned that even in groups seeking this they are starting to form their own ideological conformist ghettos. Others instead of appreciating the wisdom of the past and using the best of it to move forward to that new thing God is doing, want to retreat back into an idealised past. Yes we need glamour, colour, tradition, beauty, creativity and rituals that draws on the past but in order to move into a new expression that can reach out to the modern generation. We need new and creative approaches in philosophy, theology, spirituality and education to further the new evangelisation.

There is a group among the younger generation, like the young same -sex attracted Catholic Jew Milo Yiannopoulos, that are tired of repressive, stifling and authoritarian political correctness and its social justice warriors.  Will we take this new openness to faith and Catholicism and reach out to encourage them in their pursuit of freedom and meaning or will we just seek to offer another form of uniformity and conformity based on an authoritarian and totalistic rigid idealist and moralistic version (or perversion) of Catholicism?

I leave the last word to Milo Yiannopoulos himself: “I have literally got more religious in the last four years since I have been on these college campuses reading about social justice warriors, feminists, Black Lives Matter, it’s pushed me to God, I’m serious, it really has...I’ve never been a good Catholic, my mother’s Jewish and I was brought up Catholic by my dad, and I’ve never been a really good catholic. I kind of rediscovered it about 8 years ago when I met a friend who’s very Catholic and I got back into the church but all this stuff has really shoved me back into the church not because I’m retreating in horror from the pace of social change but because it just feels like the cool thing to do.”
It is absurd to divide people into good and bad. People are either charming or tedious.
Read more at: http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/o/oscarwilde134608.html
It is absurd to divide people into good and bad. People are either charming or tedious.
Read more at: http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/o/oscarwilde134608.html
It is absurd to divide people into good and bad. People are either charming or tedious.
Read more at: http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/o/oscarwilde134608.html
It is absurd to divide people into good and bad. People are either charming or tedious.
Read more at: http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/o/oscarwilde134608.html
It is absurd to divide people into good and bad. People are either charming or tedious.
Read more at: http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/o/oscarwilde134608.html

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks Brother Gilbert for introducing me to the flamboyant and interesting 'Milo'.
Sam Males :)